February 24th and 25th Wizarding Dayz is happening at the South Towne Expo Center here in Salt Lake. Wizarding Dayz is not a huge con like Salt Lake Comic Con, but it is niched down to focus on Wizards. The Creators of this convention have put together many different events to help tie together Magic and STEAM (Science Technology Engineering Art Mathematics), but when you start to figure out what it takes to make a wizard you find them in all sorts of Fandoms.
What is a Wizard?
When you boil down our three answers you get the essence of what a wizard is. Someone that can control forces not understood by those around them.
Arthur C. Clarke’s three laws are normally applied to Science Fiction but would work equally well when talking about wizards.
- When a distinguished but elderly scientist (wizard) states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
- The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
- Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
What are a Wizard’s attributes?
Wise – A Wizard is Wise, its right there in their name, not all wizards start out wise but most end up that way.
Presence – Wizards carry an air of confidence about them. Sometimes the wizard attains this with his beard, but most usually it is accomplished by understanding how the world around them works.
March to the Beat of their own drum – Often times wizards seem eccentric, but that might be because they know that it doesn’t matter what those around them think since they are operating with a heightened understanding and ability in the world around them
Driven – Wizards always have a purpose. Sometime the purpose is clearly defined but other times it is harder to see, but when you look close enough a good wizard will always have a purpose to their life.
Different Magical Systems
- Tool / Object Based – Wands, Staffs, Amulets etc
- Naming – By knowing the true name of things you can command them.
- Ritual to harness Energy
- Alchemists / Potion People
- Bard – Magic through Art
- Druid – Magic from Nature
- Monk – Power from Meditation
- Equivalent Exchange – There is always a cost to magic.
- Spiritual Connection – Channeling Spirits from other realms and even raising the dead.
Who are your favorite Wizards?
- Thomas Edison
- Nikola Tesla
- Tim the Enchanter
- Lo Pan
- Miracle Max
- Doctor Strange
- House MD
- The Wizard
- Dr. Frankenstein
- Harry Potter
- Wayward sisters
How do you rate a wizard’s power?
The only possible way is to put them in a battle world or in a cage match, but Q is going to win, so why bother?
Runaway’s Parents have been cast the list isn’t too shabby- http://nerdi.st/2kZ3kh1
Rosario Dawson wants to play Live Action Ahsoka – http://movieweb.com/star-wars-movies-rosario-dawson-ahsoka-tano/
Matt Reves is the new Batman director (rumor)- http://variety.com/2017/film/news/the-batman-new-director-matt-reeves-ben-affleck-1201977575/
Kate McKinnon as Ms. Frizzle, Seat belts everyone! – http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/kate-mckinnon-new-ms-frizzle-magic-school-bus-netflix-1201981671/
Let us know what you think.
Did we leave your favorite wizard off the list? Is their a trait that we should add to our essence of Wizards? Or do you want to participate in our upcoming discussion about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles? Head over to FandomPodcast.com/Contact to let us know what you think.
Until Next Time May the Fandom be with you!